© 2021 Greek Community Tribune All Rights Reserved
UN Security Council condemns Turkey’s
illegalities in Cyprus
The Cyprus Government appears to be satisfied by a statement on
Famagusta, adopted by U.N. Security Council members on Friday, which
condemns recent announcements by Turkish president Erdogan and
Turkish Cypriot leaders regarding the occupied city.
The Cyprus News Agency, has reported that a presidential statement
adopted by the United Nations Security Council after consultations and
deliberations included references that were acceptable to Greek Cypriots.
The Security Council was asked to deal with the issue after the Republic of
Cyprus requested a UN statement following a Turkish announcement to
reopen part of Famagusta, an illegal move heavily criticised by the Greek
Reports said earlier drafts written by the British and circulated to UNSC
members did not include reference to Turkey’s violations and attracted
strong criticisms by member countries including India, China, Ireland, Russia
and even the United States.
But early on Friday, according to CNA, a new draft statement was
introduced, stating “the Security Council condemns the announcement in
Cyprus by Turkish and Turkish Cypriot leaders on July 20, 2021 on the
further reopening of a part of the fenced-off area of Varosha.”
CNA reported that deliberations had been underway between London and
Nicosia and between London and Washington after an earlier silence
procedure was broken by China, India and Ireland, with the members said
to have requested “a certain amendment and for the statement to note that
there has been a violation of the UN resolutions and statements”.
According to CNA, the Security Council in the latest presidential draft
“expresses its deep regret regarding these unilateral actions that run
contrary to its previous resolutions and statements”.
Below the full statement of the UNO Security Council.
Statement by the President of the Security Council
The Security-Council reaffirms the statement of its President of 9 October
2020 (S/PRST/2020/9) on Varosha.
The Security Council reaffirms the status of Varosha as set out in previous
United Nations Security Council resolutions, including resolution 550 (1984)
and resolution 789 (1992). The Security Council reiterates that any attempt
to settle any part of Varosha by people other than its inhabitants is
inadmissible and that no actions should be carried out in relation to
Varosha that are not in accordance with its resolutions.
The Security Council condemns the announcement in Cyprus by Turkish and
Turkish Cypriot leaders on 20 July 2021 on the further reopening of a part of
the fenced-off area of Varosha. The Security Council expresses its deep
regret regarding these unilateral actions that run contrary to its previous
resolutions and statements.
The Security Council calls for the immediate reversal of this course of action
and the reversal of all steps taken on Varosha since October 2020. The
Security Council underscores the need to avoid any further unilateral
actions not in accordance with its resolutions and that could raise tensions
on the island and harm prospects for a settlement.
The Security Council stresses the importance of full respect and
implementation of its resolutions, including the transfer of Varosha to UN
administration and of respect for UNFICYP’s freedom of movement.
The Security Council reaffirms its commitment to an enduring,
comprehensive and just settlement in accordance with the wishes of the
Cypriot people, and based on a bicommunal, bizonal federation with
political equality, as set out in relevant Security Council resolutions, and its
support for the Secretary-General’s efforts.
The Security Council shall remain seized of the matter.
Adelaide, South Australia
© 2020 Greek Community Tribune All Rights Reserved