© 2021 Greek Community Tribune All Rights Reserved
Plans to open up by Christmas
South Australia will ease its border restrictions for double-vaccinated
people from November 23.
That date will also see the state halve its quarantine period for
international travellers from 14 days to seven, and increase its cap
on home gatherings from 20 people to 30.
The ABC network reported on Wednesday that the measures are
part of the state's much anticipated COVID-Ready roadmap.
Health authorities expect that 80 per cent of the state's population
aged 16 and over will have received a second vaccination dose by
November 23 or very shortly afterwards.
Premier Steven Marshall said the "vast majority" of other restrictions
in SA would ease once 90 per cent of people over the age of 12 are
He said quarantine for double-vaccinated international travellers
would be removed entirely once that milestone is reached, which is
expected before Christmas.
“Roadmap to ruin”?
Two months from Christmas, Adelaide publican Simone Douglas
says the South Australian government's COVID-Ready plan is nothing
short of a "roadmap to ruin".
Premier Steven Marshall revealed details of the plan on Wednesday,
which has been pitched as the roadmap to reopening the state and
managing coronavirus in the community.
While border restrictions for double-vaccinated people will ease
from November 23, the vast majority of restrictions currently
imposed on activities will continue until 90 per cent of the SA
population aged 12 and over is fully vaccinated.
According to the ABC, Ms Douglas, who owns the Duke of Brunswick
Hotel in the City of Adelaide, said she was hoping the restrictions
banning standing consumption and dancing indoors would be lifted
so the business could try to recover from its pandemic losses in the
lead-up to Christmas.
"It's a dead end for hospitality. There's no roadmap there," she said.
"You've pretty much had a Premier that today basically cancelled
Christmas for an entire industry."
During Wednesday’s press conference, Mr Marshall said he was
hopeful the state would reach the 90 per cent mark and be able to
remove the restrictions before Christmas.
"It's too late. That's the end of the season," Ms Douglas said.
South Australia's Premier has admitted that not all of the modelling
underpinning the state's COVID-19 roadmap has so far been
received by health authorities and the state government.
Mr Marshall has acknowledged that the state's COVID-19 caseload
will inevitably increase from that date.
"We will be letting the Delta variant into South Australia but we're
going to do it only when it's safe to do so," he told parliament.
He said modelling used as the basis for the plan indicated that such
a point would be reached when 80 per cent of the state's population
had been double-vaccinated.
Mr Marshall on Wednesday conceded he had not read all of that
information — because some of the modelling had not yet been
"The first set has been received here in South Australia, the second
set is pending and no, I haven't read that second set," Mr Marshall
Mr Marshall said the state's COVID-Ready plan relied on two sets of
modelling — the first provided by the Doherty Institute to National
Cabinet, the second by "people who have, in the past, provided
advice to the Doherty Institute".
"We're satisfied with the information that was received that we could
move to the removal of the restrictions … as of the 23rd of
"What I can tell the house is that we will be releasing in a
consolidated format the advice that we have received."
But Mr Marshall further conceded that that would not necessarily
include the Doherty Institute advice provided to National Cabinet,
because it would "not be appropriate" without authorisation from
Health Minister Stephen Wade told Parliament he had read the
Doherty Institute's research, but that "further modelling" would be
"I have read the Doherty [Institute] material but I must admit, I'm not
a scientist, there was much I didn't understand," he said.
Adelaide, South Australia